Skip to main content

World of Writing

-- World of Writing --  

As many of our readers are already aware, I truly enjoy offering featured interviews on the world of writing with a wide variety of people in the industry from all over the planet. Today we have Linda Faulkner joining us: 

Putting words together has been Linda's lifelong passion. She's constantly writing: fiction, non-fiction, magazine articles, educational texts for the insurance industry, and other materials for a variety of professionals and business organizations. Linda’s mystery novel, Second Time Around, was nominated for a 2010 EPIC Award in the Best Mystery/Suspense Fiction category. Her non-fiction book, Taking the Mystery Out of Business: 9 Fundamentals for Professional Success was released in January 2011. You can visit Linda at http://www.lindafaulkner.com.

Q: Who inspired you to pursue a career in writing?

A: ...It was more a combination of my love for reading and an awe of people who could verbally express themselves so well that they elicited strong emotions from me. As for pursuing a “career” in writing? I fell into becoming a professional non-fiction writer because I combined my love for writing and my love of my “day” job.  

Q: How does writing help you make a difference in the world? 

A: When I write, I share my perspectives, opinions, personality, and experiences. As other people read my work, their own perspectives, opinions, personalities, and experiences are either confirmed or challenged. It’s great if we agree; but I’m making a bigger difference when the reader is challenged as he or she filters and sorts through the varying angles and perceptions. 

Q: Can you tell us what editors typically look for in a query letter or project proposal? 

A: I’ve found that editors and publishers seek several things:
  •  a strong marketing plan and vision for promotion of the book
  • a topic that will be welcomed by, and beneficial to, a particular target audience
  • a professional tone and presentation
  • excellent writing   
     
    Q: What do you do when you are not writing?

A: I sleep, commute, and work. In my “spare” time, I read, hang out with my husband and pets, chat with my three grown children and two granddaughters (who live 2,700 miles away), and go on an occasional hike. I’m in the process of cutting back on some of my work activities; I hope to be less boring in six months or so.

Q: What gave you the idea (inspiration) for this book? 

A: My husband prompted it. He (who loves to watch science fiction on the TV) believes that reading (and writing) fiction is a waste of time. He suggested that I write a series of business books because my professional background as an entrepreneur includes the establishment of three businesses and a writing career and he believed writing non-fiction pays better. The rest, as they say, is history!  

Q: What were some of the challenges you faced in writing your non-fiction books?

A: I didn’t have many - because I’ve been writing for so long, and have my writing life so organized, the process went smoothly. My biggest challenge is time. I sold the book on proposal and, when I offered a deadline to my publisher, I should have allowed myself a bit more time to complete it.

 
 Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, information about their radio program, newsletter, blogs, and more at: www.brummet.ca 

* Support the Brummets by telling your friends, or visiting the Brummet's Store - every sale raises funds for charity as well!

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet