Skip to main content

World of Writing


--  World of Writing --


I’d like to start with a shout out to Kat Sanborn, Editorial Associate with Cleis Press and Viva Editions (VivaEditions.com) for sending a query our way for today’s featured guest.

Judy Ford is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and maintains a psychotherapy practice in Kirkland, Washington. She is also a best selling author, mother, friend, and inspirational role model. She has been studying love and relationships for over three decades specializing in love, loss and the things that matter most. With compassion and candor, her work speaks to the heart, inspiring us to love life, to persevere through its challenges and to share our gifts with others. Her books include: Every Day Love: The Delicate Art of Caring for Each Other - Wonderful Ways to Love a Child - Wonderful Ways to Love a Teen - Single: The Art of Being Satisfied - Fulfilled and Independent - Between Mother and Daughter.

Q: Who inspired you to pursue a career in writing?

Writing is complimentary to my career as a psychotherapist. My first book developed out of handout that I disturbed at a parenting seminar where I was the speaker. Someone said to me, “Your handout should be a poster.” That led to a contract for the poster Wonderful Ways to Love a Child which sold all over the country. Then my partner said, “Your poster should be a book." ...Thirteen books later, I am still writing.

Q: How does writing help you make a difference in the world?

I get letters from readers weekly who tell me that one sentence or one page or the gentle spirit of my books has inspired them to love more fully. Words have the power to heal. The letters I receive have convinced me of that.

Q: What do you do when you are not writing?

Draw cartoons, ride my electric bike, see clients, paint canvases, sit and stare, create papier-mâché bowls and bracelets. And by the way, I write something every day, even if it is only one sentence.

Q: What gave you the idea (inspiration) for this book?

My newest book - Every Day Love: The Delicate Art of Caring for Each Other - grew out of the work I do with couples. Couples want to love but often don’t have clear examples of what day-to-day love looks like. Every Day Love gives readers snapshots of the loving nuances that transform our differences into common bonds, the small yet noteworthy actions that keep love fresh, every day.

Q: What were some of the challenges you faced in writing your non-fiction books?

Putting my thoughts into coherent, lively, comforting sentences. As my first editor once said: “Now that you are going to be a published author, Judy, it would be good if you learned something about sentence structure.” I am still working on that

Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, information about their radio program, newsletter, blog, and more at: www.brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, or visiting the Brummet's Store - every sale raises funds for charity as well!

Comments