Skip to main content

Author Interview !


-- World of Writing -- 

We are proud to present another World of Writing Interview with Jackie Martin, author of Buglar Boy - a contemporary fiction inspired by real-life characters, childhood memories and case studies from her psychology degree (ages 9 and up). This story is about a troubled child who is encouraged to steal, but is influenced to take a different path in life. Jackie is a former cartoonist and children's entertainer, and tells us that she often draws on years of work experience with children in the UK from her past. Find out more about today's guest at: www.jackiecartoons.com

Q: How do your friends and family feel about your writing venture in general? (how have you handled the situation?)

A: Overall my husband was pessimistic and unsupportive, saying that my chances of becoming a published author were about the same as my becoming an astronaut.  He has disliked me writing, which I’ve continued to do in every spare moment I’ve had, while he plays golf, drinks booze, watches telly and falls asleep on the sofa (bless him).  But my daughter and her friends have always believed in my writing and spurred me on, as have my long-suffering mum and dad.   However, through fear of disappointment and not wanting to be pitied, I only ever confided in my closest friends about my desire to be an author. 

Q: What do you do to unwind and relax? 

A: To unwind, I play tennis at my local club.  I’m not brilliant at it, but sometimes I take part in a great rally - and I gain most of my exercise from laughter prompted by the many funny moments I encounter with other players.  I only let myself relax when I get into bed at night.

Q: What is your favorite book? 

A: Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt.  It’s so beautifully written.  Even through years of poverty, hardship and tragedy, there is so much humor and charm to be found, seeing the world through the eyes of a child.  He loves his imperfect family and has an indomitable spirit.

Q: What do you want to accomplish with your books? 

A:  I’d love to have Burglar Boy acknowledged and taken on by more libraries here in England, and in Canada and the United States.  I’d like to know I have entertained and moved people and provoked empathy for an unloved character that was drawn from real life.  I want critical acclaim, - to reach sensitive souls and animal lovers – and have them keen to read my next novel.   

Q: How long does it take you to write a completed book manuscript? 

A:  Years – because I only write during little snippets of spare time.  I have worked as a teaching assistant and private tutor, but this year I have to devote most of my time to qualifying as a teacher at Brunel University.  My next manuscript is pretty much complete but it needs fine-tuning – and that could probably take me months and months.  It’s so frustrating having to leave it on a shelf untouched for days at a time!

Q: What successes has your current book done for you? 

A:  I guess it has raised my self-esteem somewhat, reading the reviews (eleven 5 star on Amazon.co.uk and thirteen 4 and 5 star on Goodreads).  It sold out of the first print run within weeks of being published at the end of May 2011 and it also pleased me to learn that a few libraries had taken it on.  However, having received no publicity beyond my local newspapers, in the grand scheme of things my book has been a splash in the ocean and my life remains pretty much unchanged. Still wanting to prove my husband wrong, I hope that the ebook version will sell on Smashwords.com at $4.99    




Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, information about their radio program, newsletter, blog, and more at: www.brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, or visiting the Brummet's Store - every sale raises funds for charity as well!

Comments