Skip to main content

World of Writing


-- Conscious Living Events --


Sept 19-21:

Conference on Canadian Stewardship
Location: Halifax, NS 

- and -
September 19 - 21

The Compost Council of Canada's 2012 National Compost Conference
Location: Montreal, Quebec (Canada)

Info: Compost.org




-- World of Writing -- 

Today it is all about the realm of writing. First let's start with some resources I've worked with recently and wanted to pass along to you. Check out the main site and visit the links where we are listed as well so you can see what they might be able to do for you...


We are thrilled to announce our new listing over at NovelSpot.net:

Novel Spot was a 2007 top 101 writers site; and currently has about 20,000 twitter followers, a
couple thousand on facebook, and thousands of participating writers registered on the website. *Readers don't have to register.


http://novelspot.net/node/5136


--

And our listings at AskDavid.com:


Ask David Site offers free promotion opportunities for writers, see what they've done for us below:


http://askdavid.com/reviews/book/book-marketing/2054

http://askdavid.com/reviews/book/poetry/2053
http://askdavid.com/reviews/book/reduce-waste/2052   
http://askdavid.com/author/Lillian-Brummet

--

Also I've just updated our page on the Authors Den site:

http://www.authorsden.com/lillianabrummet







-- Interview --


Author Bio: Debut writer Caelyn AB Williams was born in Oregon and currently lives near Olympia, Washington. She’s had a lifelong interest in paleontology, zoology, and particularly Orcas Island in the Puget Sound. She enjoys drawing in her spare time." You can order her debut book – Eliza's Journal - at: http://www.craigmorecreations.com/elizas-journal/

Q: Where are you from?

I was born in Oregon City, though my family lived in Gladstone until I was 5. At which time we moved to Lacey, Washington where I have lived since. Roughly 17 years, as I am 22 currently. I've never lived outside of the Pacific Northwest, and while I've seen a good portion of western half of the United States, I just can't picture living anywhere else in America than here. Obviously no single place is perfect, and while neither state is a shining beacon to the rest of the country, I have always been impressed with how Oregon and Washington state take to new technologies, green living, and innovation while at the same time preserving the ancient or more recent past of the country and peoples.

Q: When did you consider yourself a writer? 

I'm honestly not entirely sure I do consider myself a “writer”. I know that I enjoy writing, but as a debut author it's a bit hard to view myself on the same level as my favorite writers. When I look at my idol-authors and individuals who inspire me it's hard to see yourself as being a writer or an author too. One simply hopes with hard work and effort they could eventually become that great. Though I understand when you're younger it's sometimes hard to come by that motivation when it can feel like the world is conspiring against you.

Q: Do you use more than one voice in your writing? (first/second…) 

I do, and in fact the voice I used in writing Eliza's Journal is the one I am least comfortable writing in. By now, I am most likely better at it than the other but when I first started writing I could only wonder about how I was going to pull it off in a semi-readable way. I had kept journals in the past, but I usually only wrote in them for a couple months at a time before stopping. My daily life was just honestly not interesting enough, and the parts that were weren't exactly moments I wanted to immortalize with the written word.

I've never hugely cared for stories in which you could tell 100% that this fictional character was nothing more than the author living vicariously through their own story. I do think it's impossible to completely remove yourself from the individual you are writing, but there should still be a line from something being a creation of your own mind and it just being yourself. That line is much murkier when you're writing from that characters point of view. This is why I was a bit uneasy about writing from the first voice that would obviously occur in a journal format.

Q: What is your profession and educational background?

Oh goodness, this is where it gets fun. So, I went to schools in the lovely North Thurston county until I believe a month or two into high school. Then I more or less dropped out, my first year. I did a form of home schooling after, but my public K-12 school education ended when I was 14. For more reasons than one really needs to go in to at this point. I may have thought a few times about going back but my family life alone was a bit of a mess at the time. My dad and mom had split not long before hand, and when I was 15 he passed away at 55. Money was, and is still, extremely tight. So it's safe to say for a few years, continuing my own education wasn't right at the top of my to-do list. Dealing with the pressure of public school was not right for me then. I'm hoping this isn't coming across as 'Hey, if you don't like school - QUIT!' as I would never abdicate for anyone cutting short or putting little importance on your education. But, I was a young teen then and I can absolutely relate to some kids out there having a tough time balancing everything in their lives.
(Ironically enough, my mother teaches Anthropology at a college. I've sat in on more lectures than I can count, from the age in which I would bring a blankie into class to the age in which I could intelligently debate what I needed to.)

Q: What is your mission?

I believe the greater and more respectable mission is found in Craigmore Creations goal of creating entertaining as well as informative works for small tots to teens. Too often in schools, the sciences and history are thought of as boring or dull and they don't ever have to be. Maybe it's because my mom teaches Anthropology or because my dad was a fan of Shakespeare, but it always hurts when interesting, honestly awesome things are shrugged off as pointless to learn. So in that respect of Craigmore Creations' approach, I would say my mission in Eliza's Journal was to keep the readers interested, no matter their educational background.
In other works, my mission is to entertain, reinvent, rediscover and create the world or characters in it to the best of my abilities.

Q: What do you consider to be your greatest strengths and weaknesses?

I do like to write in the YA range fairly frequently, and I suppose that could be a weakness or a strength depending on how I handle what I'm writing. I like using classic themes in my own way, and my love of history and mythology of many cultures is one of my strengths. I unfortunately have a penchant for getting distracted very easily, even when it's related to the work itself. Doing research for Eliza's Journal meant I was looking at a lot of scientific articles, and it was far too easy to get lost in it. My advice for youths and all age groups really is to write to your strengths. That isn't to say you must write what is easiest or that you should never branch out, but rather using what comes to you naturally in the art of crafting the work.


Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, their radio program, blog, and more at: http://brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, clicking those social networking buttons, or visiting the Brummet's Store - and help raise funds for charity as well!



Comments