Skip to main content

World of Writing, Interviews


 -- Quote of the Day --


“…I like to be more the spectator and only direct a little bit. I think this is important because too often in painting or in creating something we think we have to be in control of everything we do. But when we are not, this is the time when things really get created, otherwise it is just technique. And technique can be learned. But the other thing comes out of yourself – and that is passion. Something really important to remind other people who want to paint or be creative is not to put limitations on themselves, or not to let others put limitations on themselves. If in schools or universities they have really structured rules they put on people they can cut off creativity. …You don’t have to be a full-time artist; you don’t have to be perfect. …Push your own limitations, and other people’s limitations by your creation – make them think; don’t hold back. ”

~ Beate Epp

Today’s quote originates from the Conscious Discussions Talk Radio episode titled: Art Writing Health


 (*Click on the title to access the full discussion)



 -- World of Writing -- 

 We have for you another World of Writing Interview; today's guest is Rebecca Miller Pringle - author, mediator, and editor-in-chief of the on-line newspaper: The Tenafly Gazette. She has a wonderful sense of humor and a passion for serving the community offering alternative dispute resolution, and specializes in helping Latino business owners find ways to develop and grow their services. She also helps veterans as a peer support counselor. Rebecca has won many awards in her life including:
Army Commendation Medal, two Army Achievement Medals, and a National Defense Medal. Her "She-Not" book series helps blended families deal with disputes. Find her @: MillerMediators.com 




Q: Did you choose writing as a profession, or did it choose you?


Rebecca: I did not choose writing as a profession. It chose me.  After years of being invisible to certain family members, I said I had had enough.  I decided to speak up and be counted.  The Census Bureau keeps asking me how many of me are out here every time I sell a book, I count so much.  They themselves lost count, I believe, and in other areas than just mine.  But all kidding aside, after I picked up that pen, I couldn’t put it down.  Although I type more now than I write; I cannot stop thinking every time something comes up:“ that would sound good in my book.” 

Q: What are common mistakes authors make? 

Rebecca: Two common mistakes I find authors making are the following:
a.     Paying too much to have their book edited.  Editing prices will range from $1 a page to fees in the thousands.  Some editors charge a flat fee of maybe $200 and up all the way into the thousands.  A self publishing entity may charge a flat fee or by the page with the same price range applying to them as well.
b.    Not taking/making the corrections when the editor suggests it. Authors seem to forget this is what they are paying the editor for.  The author has put in so much time and effort into his/her work, that deleting half a chapter or so bruises his/her pride.  Remember, the editor wants to make sure the book sells so he/she can get more customers in the future from other authors!  You want your book to sell too.  So listen to the editor.  You’ll be glad you did. 

Q: What are your greatest obstacles and motivators when it comes to writing?

Rebecca: One of my greatest obstacles is not putting in the time to write.  I will think about writing all day long. I will visualize my character, my chapter, my events, etc.  However, getting to the point where I am picking up the laptop or a pen and paper, is where I found myself hitting a wall.  At least if I hit the wall hard enough, it should knock some sense into me to remind me to write or never finish the sequel up.  People are waiting to find out what happened.  Maybe, I’ll ask my husband to trip me in the hallway next time he sees me.
My greatest motivator is having a co-author.  In my upcoming book, I have a co-author this time.  I have to answer to him in the same way he answers to me.  We hold each other accountable. We gave each other a two week turnaround for us to turn in our work.  Sometimes it turns into months and the guilt rides in causing me to hurry and get that chapter out.  Just think how long it would have taken me had I not had someone to answer to.

Q: What is your favorite memory in your career as a writer?

Rebecca: My favorite memory is helping out a childhood friend who was running in the Terry Fox Cancer Research race.  We had a special charity event where we sold tickets which included a meal and a signed copy of my book.  Proceeds were given to my friend for his race.  Although all the proceeds were not donated, he appreciated that I even included his cause into my book signing.  I had such a wonderful time seeing old friends, eating, and being able to help not only my friend, but also the Terry Fox Foundation.

Q: What do you think about self-publishing?

Rebecca: I happen to think very highly of self publishing.  This route gives the author most or total control of his/her book.  The author gets to pick out the colors of the cover, the pictures if any, how many pages, chapters, fonts, etc.  One can choose what package they want, how much they want to pay, what type of services/marketing they prefer, and the list goes on and on and on.  One very important factor to keep in mind however, when going this route—The author will be responsible for booking all the signings, events, marketing, publicity, you name it.  This is a very time consuming way to go, but if you can make the time, you can create it.


Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, their radio program, blog, and more at: http://brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, clicking those social networking buttons, or visiting the Brummet's Store - and help raise funds for charity as well!



Comments