Skip to main content

World of Writing, interview




Today’s special guest is Lee Matheson… Lee, a proud Canadian author and mother, has a passion for travel and seeing the world and spends her days helping to manage a chiropractic business with her husband of 21 years. She enjoys exercising, sailing, hiking, scary movies, and dancing. She describes herself as a “doer” and looks forward to what may happen with each new day. As a writer, she hopes that readers of her work will find an escape from the darker side of life. Check out her book Wake Me Up Inside, the first of a trilogy, via her site:  http://LeeBiceMatheson.ca - & connect with her @: http://FaceBook.com/LeeBiceMatheson



Q: When you started your book, did you plan on writing it as a series, or did it just grow into one?



A: I knew from the beginning it was going to be at least a trilogy.  I've had many readers write to me directly and say how happy they are it's a trilogy, but wish it was a series.  So I go back and forth on this. 



Q: What age group did you write for? 



A: Primarily young tweens/teens between the ages of 12-17 but I am surprised at how many people of all ages are reading Wake Me Up Inside.



Q: Why did you write for this particular age group?



A: I feel teens have a rough time figuring out their lives, how to act, who to trust, how to stand up for themselves.  I remember it very well!  It is not an easy time of life as one is pulling away from parents and trying to become more independent.  Choosing new friends can be great or go very badly, dependent upon shared morals and values.  Peer pressure and bullying are rampant and I am pro anti-bullying.  The teen heroine, Paige Maddison, does not allow anyone to bully her, for long!



Q: Did you find it difficult to choose the right language, images and writing style for reaching this age group?



A: I seemed to have a knack in writing teen lingo, however, I have my son and his friends to thank for that.  Many teens congregated in our home and I could not help but overhear their conversations. I would also ask our son, Justin, some of the teen slang and IM words. I think I am a teen at heart.



Q: How do you plan to promote this book (or series)?



A: I had a book signing in my hometown of Sarnia.  It was well attended - just shy of 100 people.  From there, I have sold it to bookstores in Sarnia, London, Toronto and Orillia.  I sponsored a Halloween party in a haunted house - the Orillia Opera House, on October 31st!  25 teens attended and received a free copy of my book, generously donated by the Kiwanis Club of Orillia.  I also performed a reading at the Orillia Public Library and there were 25 people in attendance, the most they've had for this kind of event.  I just received a glowing review on Allbooks Review International so I share all of this information on my website and FaceBook pages. 



Q: Is there anything in your book that is based on a real life experience?



A: Yes, I believe all writers have bits and pieces of themselves in their writing.  Paige is a part of me - especially the fact that she does not let others mistreat her.  She stands up for herself but does it from a place of love. 



Q: Why did you feel this book needed to be written?



A: Wake Me Up Inside was written for both genders and it is an homage to those individuals that need to read an empowering, inspirational story to help them in the day to day challenges everyone experiences, at one time or another.




Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, their radio program, blog, and more at: http://brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, clicking those social networking buttons, or visiting the Brummet's Store - and help raise funds for charity as well!





Comments

  1. Thank you so much Lillian for hosting me on your special blogspot. Keep up the great work making this world a better place, post by post and through the radio shows.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

http://www.twitter.com/brummet
http://www.facebook.com/lillian.brummet
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ldbrummet