Skip to main content

Poetry



-- Quote of the Day -- 

" The great composer does not set to work because he is inspired, but becomes inspired because he is working. Beethoven, Wagner, Bach and Mozart settled down day after day to the job in hand with as much regularity as an accountant settles down each day to his figures. They didn’t waste time waiting for inspiration. "

~ Ernest Newman


-- Poetry -- 

 I try to share a poem every 10 days or so here on this blog in an effort to celebrate the creativity and inspiring playful painting of words that poetry brings us all, both writers and readers. Sometimes I share other's poems, sometimes mine or my husbands... 

Today - I'd like to share and excerpt from our latest book of poetry - Rhythm & Rhyme
...which you can learn more about via: http://brummet.ca/store.html

http://brummet.ca/store.html

This poem was written after re-reading my first book of poetry and arranging this new book, getting it ready for publication. I was struck by the stages of growth and changes in my life that the poetry revealed to me. I felt this conflicting state of exhaustion, exhilaration and contemplation... all at once - and the result was this poem:

Years Go By 

Years go by,
And by, 
And by.

As they pass, words written
Glow with memories.

Witness the five-year phases
Where goals shift
From "survival" to "recovery";
From "amalgamation" to "lifestyle"...
To "passion", "bliss" and "legacy";
From "education" - to "job security";
To developing "Self".

Hit a slump for a while - 
But now I find I am on this journey
Of "self-discovery", "self-improvement"...
"self-sufficiency".

A weariness often settles in
A yearning to leave this world
And like Walden, live in nature.
Knowing age thunders in 
Unwanted, unwelcome...
Threatening pain
And financial stress
Making dreamy disappearance
Plausable.

Weary days blend
While I strive to stretch 
And bend and re-shape
Myself.


  Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, their radio program, blog, and more at: http://brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, clicking those social networking buttons, or visiting the Brummet's Store - and help raise funds for charity as well! 
 
 




Comments