Skip to main content

Journey to Health



-- Journey to Health, final portion --  

So, as you can see from the previous posts I did a series of small articles listing activities that are commonly recommended by experts to those that are struggling with challenges in life, you know - those moments when we are feeling a bit "lost in the dark", feeling our way "like a blind man".

If you are at all like me, I tend to bottle up what I am feeling. I disintegrate it, put it back together, disintegrate it again... for weeks, months, years. Sometimes having a good friend to just spill it out to can help you sort out the confusing feelings, determine what it is you are really looking at and what it means and what it definitely doesn't mean. Then you might also get some helpful advice as to what to do about it, or through simply talking about it you discover the words to explain what you are feeling. Sometimes it is hard to chain a bunch of words in the right way, especially if you are confused about what it is in the first place. Communication is important, but communicating in the most effective way, at the best time frame and with consideration - there lies the problem. So try to find a way to talk it out, even if you talk to the walls, or the universe or whatever. It really does help.

These are the very same steps I've taken on, reminding myself of things I knew before but wasn't fully practicing. Taking on physical health challenges was new to me - outside of the injuries from the accidents I've been relatively healthy and fairly lean all my life. To find out I was deficient in iron, slightly hypoglycemic (sluggish in processing sugars), chronically sleep deprived, and a bit heavy... well, that was new to me. These are all things that can be fixed with personal lifestyle changes - basically, taking better care of myself. With the new supplements I'm on I have more energy. With the sleeping pills I am getting 6 hours or more of sleep at a time. Better nutrition and sleep patterns led to me being able to eat properly at regular intervals and not throw up every other day, etc. But all of those physical symptoms really go back to letting things pile up and get that bad. I take ownership of that. I also take ownership of the journey back to health. 

I hope you have enjoyed the brief notes I've made here for you, sharing my personal map - the roads I took to recovery. I'm feeling much better, dropping pounds (actually, 20 lbs over the last couple years), but I am still on the road, and so I ask everyone to be patient with the process, as I am learning to be as well. 

I'll be back in the office regularly starting in May.. if all goes well. In the meantime I'll try to get posts up here on my blog every 2-3 days, OK?


Comments